[Wiltshire] Linux 2.6.28, ondemand governor and nice 19 processes

Simon Iremonger wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk
Sun Feb 22 21:06:28 UTC 2009

> I'm hoping someone will be able to help with a problem I've been
> experiencing ever since I upgraded to 2.6.28
> Before upgrading to 2.6.28 processes running at nice 19 didn't cause the
> CPU frequency to step up, so it ran at it's lowest clock speed, which
> was perfect because it "saved" power and kept temperatures down.

I haven't used the cpufreq ondemand in the kernel itself....
> Since upgrading to 2.6.28, however it seems that this is not the case.

I wonder if 2.6.29 does better ;-)....
I would have thought you do have ondemand support in the 2.6.28
   kernel if its' appearing in /proc /sys etc...

You could use the workaround of installing 'powernowd' (simple and
   known to do what you want), with the kernel set for "userspace"
   governing...

> Robert.
--Simon