[Wiltshire] Linux 2.6.28, ondemand governor and nice 19 processes

Simon Iremonger wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk
Sun Feb 22 22:24:03 UTC 2009

>> I haven't used the cpufreq ondemand in the kernel itself....
>>> Since upgrading to 2.6.28, however it seems that this is not the case.
> Gaaaah!  It's taken me about 12 months to move off 2.6.25 due to various
> problems with vmware-modules, dvb card drivers, nvidia modules causing
> OOPSES.  I don't ever want to move kernels again!  Oh well...

Just out of interest...
Are Gentoo using/suggesting/supporting 'dkms' ?  I notice ubuntu have
   taken that up recently.. for building modules on updated kernel
   module headers.

>> I would have thought you do have ondemand support in the 2.6.28
>>    kernel if its' appearing in /proc /sys etc...
> Yes, I definitely have ondemand support installed and running as I can
Right...
But you are saying the ingore_nice_load is no longer behaving...
I get it!

>> You could use the workaround of installing 'powernowd' (simple and
>>    known to do what you want), with the kernel set for "userspace"
>>    governing...
> Hmm - I suppose I could... Ondemand did this perfectly in 2.6.25 and
> appears as though it should in 2.6.28 because the
> /sys/..../ignore_nice_load option is there.

Given kernels seem to be a trouble for you,  I would definitely
   reccomend trying 'powernowd'.
Its' simple and most certainly is designed to not speed-up for
   'nice' processes....  Probably just what you want...
But the author says the ondemand governor will be a better
   future/replacement...

> At least it doesn't seem to be anything really obvious that I've missed yet!
Not that I can see...

I'm suprised at all the hassle you are having with kernels...
But I can believe it when using custom kernels and many modules.

> Robert.
--Simon