[Wiltshire] August meeting

Simon Fryer fryers at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 08:15:14 UTC 2009

All,

2009/7/24 David Corking <lists at dcorking.com>:
> Mike Paglia :
>> Secondly there is no reason to do so at this point as NAT is a perfectly
>> good way of solving the IP shortage problem.
>
> Allow me to disagree.  It seems to me that the use of
> dynamically-assigned IP addresses, followed shortly after by the
> widespread use of NAT, has set back peer-to-peer applications for
> several years, perhaps a decade.

I agree with David here. NAT is an unpleasant hack. I had never
thought about the issues with peer to peer applications but I can see
why.

Starting to use the internet when everything had a real IP number made
life easy! Now life is somewhat more difficult. I have a static IP
number so that I can connect and copy files from home. NAT means I
have to do it through my gateway box. Using non NAT would allow me to
copy files directly from the box in question.

Guess I should dig out the notes I made in 2002 when I last got an
IPv6 connection. And when I did this I thought I was somewhat lagging
behind.

[chomp]

Simon