[Wiltshire] Meeting tomorrow

John Larkworthy john_larkworthy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 10 10:51:18 UTC 2009

Hi

Dave Fletcher and I have already visited the Central Library and have got outline permission to hold some kind of event there. I am now trying to flesh out what and exactly when.

I had hoped to have some time in mid April but my diary is filling fast with other things so we may have to delay until ...

After last nights meeting - the 3 regulars this month. I have suggested that I contact the library and propose a date for the event and then we can tackle what we want to present.

I am anxious not to present ourselves as a bunch of 'rabid' linux supporters but try to offer a gentle introduction to 'Free, Libre, Open Source Software' by offering an image from the Open Disk project, which contains what that project believes is the best FLOSS software for Win32 machines.
As the blank CD's will not be free I would suggest who ever copies the image onto disk could charge for the disk. This would have the benefit of removing the 'if it's free it's not worth anything' effect - what do others think?

If they like, and use, such programs as Open Office and Firefox perhaps we can persuade them at a later date to switch to GNU/Linux or BSD.

What still seems to be missing from the event is something visual to present. Standing around handing out or selling CD's is one thing but demonstrating and hooking in the curious is another. Any suggestions for displays and AV presentations? The librarian I spoke to, thought they might be able to make a data projector available but if they can't does anyone have one we can use for the day?

Regards,

John.