[Wiltshire] Meeting tomorrow

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Mar 10 12:31:48 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 10:51:11 John Larkworthy wrote:
> Hi
>

> I am anxious not to present ourselves as a bunch of 'rabid' linux
> supporters but try to offer a gentle introduction to 'Free, Libre, Open
> Source Software' by offering an image from the Open Disk project, which
> contains what that project believes is the best FLOSS software for Win32
> machines. As the blank CD's will not be free I would suggest who ever
> copies the image onto disk could charge for the disk. This would have the
> benefit of removing the 'if it's free it's not worth anything' effect -
> what do others think?
There's nothing wrong with making these available, but I'd be cautious about
burning too many in advance in case they don't get taken. And if we're
burning them on the day, I'd be more happy about doing it with an external
burner rather than wearing and tearing the drive in my old laptop.

There is also the other option of the bootable USB flash drive if we want to
provide a distribution. I was hoping to try this method of installation on
Friday to do a Debian network install but the little machine I was installing
knows not this method of booting. Whatever we provide, we need to have
somebody there on the day who has experience of using it to give appropriate
advice.

I was also thinking along the lines of producing a step-by-step how-to as a
pdf that could be sent out by email. Most of the people stepping through the
front door of the library will never have installed an operating system and
will have no idea how to go about it, so it would be helpful to write a guide
to explain
1 what Linux is
2 why there are so many flavours
3 which distributions are more stable
4 which are more cutting edge
5 which distributions we are experienced with
6 how to obtain and install a chosen distribution
7 how to get help i.e. joining the LUG or Debian/Kubuntu mail lists

> If they like, and use, such programs as Open Office and Firefox perhaps we
> can persuade them at a later date to switch to GNU/Linux or BSD.
>
> What still seems to be missing from the event is something visual to
> present. Standing around handing out or selling CD's is one thing but
> demonstrating and hooking in the curious is another. Any suggestions for
> displays and AV presentations? The librarian I spoke to, thought they might
> be able to make a data projector available but if they can't does anyone
> have one we can use for the day?
John did you get chance yet to take a look at the screen shots I sent over? I
forgot to ask about that last night.

> Regards,
>
> John.

Dave