[Wiltshire] Library presentation was Meeting tomorrow

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Mar 10 23:03:44 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 Mar 2009, Sharon wrote:
> Hi,
>

> With all this in mind will you be using live CD's on the day, and will
> you have different versions or are you going for gnu as was mentioned
> earlier? What date are you planning to hold this event because if I'm
> not working I would love to pop in.
>
> Sorry if this is a bit long winded.
>
> Sharon

Not at all, it's great to see a new name here enjoying free software.

I've been running Kubuntu for the last couple of years, switching from Fedora.
John L runs Ubuntu on his laptop (same basic distribution, with the other
desktop).

But, I've been having a little play with Debian Lenny, running it as a virtual
machine. I have to say that I feel very tempted, when I next upgrade, to
install the 64 bit Debian. I very much like the network installation method,
which fetches a whole set of up to date packages from the Debian repository
as it installs them. You can also do loads of choices, such as server or
desktop install, and choose whether to install KDE or Gnome, all from the
same small ISO. I like it.

So, no, we won't be running live CDs I don't think, as we're relatively
hardened long time users of Linux with everything installed directly on to
the main hard drive. If we need to use anything else, such as XP, I think we
tend to run them as virtual machines.

Dave

--

FACT - Millions of people worldwide continue to pay money to one of the
richest companies in the world for its products, even though perfectly good

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763