[Wiltshire] Comments wanted on Backup DVD-r disks...

Simon Iremonger wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk
Tue Mar 24 00:27:34 UTC 2009

I was just wondering everybody's comments ;-)...

W.r.t. optical recordables (dvd and cd).

I understood that 'archival grade' media is worth using
   for long-lasting recordings, e.g. archival type backups,
   as well as being careful about the storage conditions!

I was wondering in others' experience out there...

(a) Have others out there found they often have CD-R's
     degrade to unreadable -- is this a 'common problem'?
     I've definely found some hardly-used disks that just
     don't work well any more!

(b) Where is a good place to get archival disks anyway?
     Is there anywhere good locally or just get online
     somewhere?

p.s. Expecting to be along to next meeting!

Thanks,

--Simon