[Wiltshire] Kernel won't run on this SBC

Simon Iremonger wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk
Thu May 21 15:32:52 UTC 2009

> Can anybody please point me to a Linux distribution that will run on this:-
> Vortex A9100 CPU
> It boots an installer CD such as the Ubuntu alternate installer, but when I
> select the install option I get
> This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
> 0:0
I think you mean, it is booting the SYSLINUX type initial menu,
   but the linux kernel is what won't start.

> Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU
> I don't want any desktop, just a basic command line install.

Ubuntu 9.04's 2.6.28 kernel for x86 (32bit) is built with
   CONFIG_M586=y ...
Whereas... Debian Etch4.0's and Lenny5.0's default x86
   kernel is built with CONFIG_M486=y ...
I'm guessing your Vortex cpu just doesn't support all the
   instructions needed by their kernel.

As Richard said, try Debian ;-).  For server-install-use and
   command-line, its virtually identical to ubuntu for most
   uses!  Generally I have found a particular _release_
   of Debian or Ubuntu is useful on account of particular
   software versions or features, but the actual fact its'
   Debian or Ubuntu makes little difference....

--Simon