[Wiltshire] Formatting a USB portable hard drive for Linux

Simon Iremonger wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk
Sat Nov 7 12:55:59 UTC 2009

> I can't promise about the mac, but all the machines should be able to
> read ntfs without any issues. It'd be worth checking which ntfs versions
> are supported where, having just written it I'm now not so sure.
I wasn't aware that there are major changes in NTFS for a long
   time... I understand windows UI is starting to make more
   features accessible (e.g. symlinks).

If your distro has ntfs-3g working then r/w ntfs should not be
   a problem but this is significantly slower than using an
   in-kernel filesystem like ext3 !!

> Max
--Simon