[Wiltshire] Computer hardware - case fans

Greg Browne greg.browne at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 22:09:20 UTC 2009

I have one, so they must be readily available, but mine came from a computer
fair.

However, I would think carefully before doing such a thing, as you need to
think through the air flow paths quite carefully. The danger is as follows,
for a standard case. (Yours, of course, might not be a standard case and you
might be already aware of this problem)

Instead of creating a low pressure area at the rear of the case that draws a
through flow of air, in through the front and side of the case, you will
create a short circulating area of air flow, in through the rear and out
through the rear mounted power supply. This in turn can create an area of
stagnant air, further forward, just where the hard drive is likely to be
mounted. I have seen people do this (mistakenly mounting an extra case fan
the wrong way around) with the result that hard drives fail within months
from overheating.

Regards Greg

2009/10/27 David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net>

> Does anybody know of such a thing as a 60mm temperature controlled case fan
> with a remote sensor?
>
> I want to mount it so that it blows air into the case rather than suck it
> out,
> hence the desire for a remote sensor. The objective is to direct some of
> the
> incoming air across the heat sinks of a "fanless" motherboard with minimum
> acoustic noise.
>
> Failing temperature control a switch to set the speed would do. My current
> desktop case has a switched speed controlled fan but it's much larger than
> 60mm.
>
> Dave

Greg Browne
http://digitalanswers.info/