[Wiltshire] Privacy registering for council's wifi?

Mark Pope mark.orchardgroveit at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 16 07:09:09 UTC 2010

You could lie, but it would probably do you no good. Having looked at
the site, I don't think that what they are asking for is unreasonable.
Name, address, postcode, email address and telephone number is hardly
excessive IMHO.
Presumably, each user will have their own credentials for connecting to
the network whether they are using the free or paid-for services, so at
the very least, they need your details to set that up and send you the
credentials.
Finally, it's a commercial venture and they will want to sell
value-added services, so will need to have names,addresses to bill against.

If it bothers you, then don't sign up. Simples!

Grinch will be the name of someone's network in your vicinity. I often
see half a dozen or more networks out there. Mostly secured it has to be
said...

Mark Pope,
Orchard Grove IT Limited
25, Orchard Grove,
Upper Stratton
Swindon,
Wilts
SN2 7QR
UK

Tel:	+44 (0) 1793 820233
	+44 (0) 7778 910684
LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/popemark
Email	mark at orchardgroveit.com
Website http://www.orchardgroveit.com

Registered in England No. 6570188. Registered office 25, Orchard Grove, Upper Stratton, Swindon Wilts, SN2 7QR.