[Wiltshire] CUPS remote admin

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Thu Jul 29 21:50:51 UTC 2010

This for me is a perennial PITA.

All I want to be able to do is use a web browser on my desktop to use the
administration facility on a server. Ubuntu disables this facility by
default. Why? I can't understand. What is the point of disabling remote web
browser access to administration on a server that has no GUI on it in the
first place?

I can get other applications working just fine, such as apcupsd which has a
very well documented config file containing examples and explanations that
make it easy to get working even over a network.

But CUPS I just can't figure it out. There's how-tos scattered around all over
the place that don't work for me, I've tried to read the instructions and the
damn thing still won't talk.

Anybody here know how to do it?

It's on an Ubuntu Server 10.04.

Dave