[Wiltshire] Monthly meetings.

John Larkworthy john_larkworthy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 13:50:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

It seems that the monthly meetings are not popular. The meeting seems to be a gathering of 3 to 6 old hands (depending on which month).

As one of the old hands I am wondering what the LUG would like to do instead or as well as the current monthly meeting format. OK I accept a social gathering over a drink is not everyones idea of a good time but it does or did allow people to put names to faces and ask tricky questions certainly when we has 8-10 people attending.

I know I resisted any attempt to create a formal club with Treasurer and Rules as these tend to imply a duty of trust for someone. If we need this formal organisation then I guess we will have to organise it.

I have been told that some others would like to attend but do not like the idea of meeting in a Pub, our current venue. If someone wants to organise a different meeting place then I would be happy to move. A pub does have the advantage of available refreshments and a free meeting area which avoids the need for managing venue rentals.

Should the meeting be more than meet and greet?
Perhaps we could offer training in FOSS applications - Open Office and GIMP spring to mind but there are plenty of others.
Do we need to attract more members?
How do we go about it?
Another intallfest?
Open source awareness day?

Could we get involved in a computer recycling initiative using FOSS to promote Linux?

These are a few of my suggestions. What are your views?

John