[Wiltshire] Anyone near Melksham?

Jake Davies jdavies.thfc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 15:39:24 UTC 2010

On 09/10/10 22:43, Philip Vossler wrote:
> Are there any LUG members at all close to Melksham?  I'd like to
> run an install day here in Melksham - maybe at the old Wiltshire
> College Campus (if I can gain access), or possibly at the company I
> work for. Hopefully this would be the start of a regular group that
> are into hacking hardware and Linux (not quite a LUG). I know very few
> people in the area and am keen to meet like minded engineers that
> would like to take technology into the community.
>
> I need a few people to form a core group and hatch a solid proposal
> before going public with the idea.
>
> Any comments or suggestions very welcome!
>
> regards
> Phil Vossler
> --

I'm in Frome and would be interested regardless of not knowing how to
become a LUG member. I attended something called Linux Boot Camp at UWE
and they had a lot of people new to GNU/Linux. They were doing a "build
and boot" aimed at new users and installed Slackware. Those that really
didn't like a heavy text installation and reading documentation had
other LiveCDs as an alternative. You could encourage people to bring old
and spare computers and really learn about the O/S by installing
something like Slack as opposed to a 10 minute run through of Ubuntu.

--
DAV09111955
D. Jake Davies