[Wiltshire] Serving email

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sun Sep 5 12:37:49 UTC 2010

Let me try again.....

I now have my MX record delivering mail directly to my server. postfix is
picking it up and doing what looks like a perfect job of delivering it into
local ~/Maildir/ boxes. So, that's working.

Now, I basically want to remove certain well defined rubbish that I don't want
to see to /dev/null using procmail.

I currently have in a .forward file:-
"|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75 #dave"

and the simplest possible .procmailrc would simply re-deliver messages without
throwing anything out like this:-
SHELL=/bin/sh

:0
 /home/dave/Maildir/

where the filter recipes would go in front of the delivery recipe.

But the problem is that this gives me the dreaded email loop problem.

Please be patient with me while I guess at what is happening here - postfix
puts the original copy in ~/Maildir/new/ where .forward sees the new message
and copies it to procmail. procmail then does what it's been told to do and
if it's not been rejected by any filters puts the message
in /home/dave/Maildir - so now we have two copies of the same email. forward
now sees the new copy, passes it to procmail and so on - a loop.

So, for now, is my guess correct? Is this what is causing the problem? Am I
understanding my system or am I completely wrong?

Dave