[Wiltshire] CDROM permission in ubuntu.

Simon Fryer fryers at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 00:26:57 UTC 2011

All,

On 18 February 2011 05:26, John Larkworthy <john_larkworthy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Up until recently one of our systems would simply open a CDROM when it was
> inserted in the drive.
> It does not now - with no apparent changes of configuration - instead a popup
> appears on the desktop showing a stop sign - titled 'Error' - message 'Not
> Authorized' and an OK button to dismiss.
>
> If I use the file manager and explore 'computer' I can see the disk in the drive
> but it is not mounted. Selecting 'mount' using the right button menu results in
> the above error dialogue appearing.
>
> I think a configuration file has been corrupted due to either unexpected power
> cycling or a character being inserted in the wrong file,  when trying to recover
> the screen from the screen saver.
>
> Any suggestions?

As a starting point.

Check permissions on /dev/cdrom and which ever device /dev/cdrom
points to if it is a linked. Check /etc/fstab (or whatever the
automounter equivalent is in Ubuntu) to make sure that the cdrom is
mounted without any unnecessary options. Also check the permissions on
the mount point.

Simon