[Wiltshire] Wiltshire Digest, Vol 97, Issue 4 (swindon meetings).

Greg Browne greg.browne at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 12:36:04 UTC 2011

Interesting that Novatech supply the Novatech X10 10" - Intel Atom
N455 1GB DDR3 Memory 160GB Hard Drive with Win7 starter at £214.45 Inc
VAT. I don't think removal of the MS OS would alter that price much. I
agree with John when he says:

>>I have not yet has a good answer to the question I asked years ago - "Why would
I dump Windows (free on my new PC) for Linux?"

For myself the answer remains - I wouldn't, but I would dual boot with Linux as
my primary operating system and use Windows to support the Sat-Nav or Mobile
phone or other toys that assume the only OS in the world is MS Windows.

I run an eeepc using Ubuntu, but I have retained Win7 for exactly the
same reason, although I haven't booted into it for a long time now.

As for the LUG, I apologise for totally failing to get to any meeting
- I have run out of enthusiasm at 9pm on the few occasions that I've
been around. However, I do find the chats useful.

Greg

On 12 January 2011 01:30, John Carlyle-Clarke <john at wormdrive.net> wrote:
> On 12/01/11 00:19, Roger Fletcher wrote:
>>
>> Simon Fryer wrote:
>>  >  Which brings us back to the first point... The easyest way to not pay
>>>
>>> the Windows tax is probably to build the box yourself... Which is
>>> difficult if you need a laptop.
>>
>> Has anyone tried one of the "No OS" laptops that ebuyer sells?  The
>> cheapest comes in at just under £300 to the door.
>>

> http://zareason.com/ say they ship overseas and seem to provide a warranty
> as well.  Also, http://www.novatech.co.uk/ seem to be a popular choice too.
>
> There are a few more on http://nakedcomputers.org/category/europe/uk/

Greg Browne