[Wiltshire] Home server OS?

Jake Davies jdavies.thfc at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 23:18:34 UTC 2011

Hey guys!

I'm leaving for university on Thursday -- studying Computer Science.
(big surprise hey?)

I've got an old but faithful Toshiba Celeron "craptop" that's running XP
and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Since torrents may be blocked at uni, I can't
download all those distros! Perhaps I could use the laptop with
rTorrent, and scp/ftp them across?

I've only had experience with Ubuntu and Arch Linux (my main distro at
the mo') -- what'd the best distro for a "home server" be? I'll just
have it plugged into the router, so I have little requirements (no
wifi/graphics needed), but as a CS student I may want somewhere to serve
any ghastly PHP I write, or host other crap, perhaps backup, whatever
slavery servers do. I was either thinking Debian stable or Ubuntu
server. I only have 'til Thursday to get things up and running

Any suggestions ideas/distro/server wise? I'd plan to firstly backup
data and then nuke the drive using dban or similar.

--
D. Jake Davies