[Wiltshire] Router Problem

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Mon Sep 26 20:03:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 20:29 +0100, GPennington wrote:
> Hi All,
>      As it seems to be router problem time I wonder if anyone can
> diagnose mine.
>
>      I have 2 adsl modem routers.  One is a cheap and cheerful "Guru"
> that is wired.
>       The other is a BT business hub, although I am not with BT, which
> is wireless and 4 ports.
>
>      If my linux box, either wired or wireless, connects to the BT
> router, firefox cannot bring up some web pages,
>      for example www.ebay.com
>
>      Some work, some don't.
>
>      I can bring up www.autotrader.co.uk but the ajax selection boxes
> which update with choices you make just hang.
>
>      I can receive emails but cannot send emails.
>

>      If I unplug that router and go back to my old wired one -
> everything works fine.
>

>      Simple answer problem with the BT modem router, but...
>
>      My wife has a windows laptop for work.
>      When she connects via wireless and uses a browser eg ie, firefox or
> chrome on windows,
>      it works perfectly.
>
>      Anybody got any ideas?

Sometimes it's DNS that causes silly problems. Maybe your wife's laptop
has DNS configured into the windows setup, while your Linux box is
getting the DNS server addresses by DHCP from the router? Can you get
into the configuration of the router and edit it? I've got mine pointed
at opendns and everything works fine.

Dave