[Wiltshire] Suitable netbooks

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Mon Feb 13 09:33:39 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 20:18 +0000, David Corking wrote:

> We have Fedora 16 on the SSD. It boots to gdm in 30 seconds.
> Compatibility is great so far, though I haven't needed to get the
> 802.11x  (ath91x driver I think) or tested Bluetooth working. 3D
> graphics, sound, ethernet, USB, SD card and even power key to shutdown
> and battery capacity meter worked fine straight out of the box. Intel
> GMA graphics are fine in supertuxkart, but don't expect 3D to ever be
> speedy.

Doing some further reading, it looks like the only problem experienced
with the NB500s is the WiFi, but reading the Toshiba specs, it seems
that they have Atheros chips. This old laptop has a WiFi board I bought
from somebody on ebay, reported as Atheros AR5001X+ by lspci, and it
"just worked" as soon as I installed it, so maybe there's nothing to
worry about?

Dave