[Wiltshire] Linux laser printers?

Kevin Milburn wiltslug at kmilburn.force9.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 22:26:50 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 02 Jan 2013 20:04:15 David Fletcher wrote:
> I don't want to run my old inkjet any more after it runs out of ink
> (which I suspect has been made obsolete anyway) so I'd like to get a
> colour laser. Something at the low end of the price range for home use.
>
> I assume that anything that does Postscript and has a USB socket will
> print documents for me. Correct?

As long as you have compatible drivers, yes.

> What I also want to be able to do though is use Gutenprint with the Gimp
> to print graphics.
>
> Anybody know anything current that I can use please?
>
> I've been looking at something like the HP Laserjet CP1525n but I can't
> find it mentioned in Gutenprint.

HP printers don't use Gutenprint,  they use HPLIP  (HP Linux Imaging and
Printing),  which achieves the same goal.  It also has the advantage that It
is supported by HP themselves.

I currently have an Officejet 4500 and a Laserjet P1102 working fine in OpenSUSE
12.2.

The only 'gotcha' to watch out for in case HP are still misbehaving,  when the
P1102 is connected to windows,  it turns itself into a removable drive (which
prevents printing) until the drivers are installed .

Unfortunately,  with Windows XP in a VM,  it didn't succeed in turning itself
back into  a printer automatically.

Fortunately there is an program on the removable drive that does force it
back!

HTH
Kevin.