[Wiltshire] Virgin Media IPv6?

Simon Iremonger wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk
Mon Jan 20 11:43:16 UTC 2014

> On 20 January 2014 11:10, David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net> wrote:
>       http://whatsmyip.net/
>       which correctly displays my IPv4 address i.e. it's the same address as
>       all the other sites show. BUT it also quotes an IPv6 address which
> ​​::ffff:5615:41eb.

Thats' not an IPv6-address, thats just a poorly programmed website. =).

When the website gets a connection on an IPv6 TCP socket with
IPv4-compatibility  (i.e. listening on TCP-on-IPv4 AND TCP-on-IPv6),
but the connection is made over IPv4, the API supplies the IPv4
address used, in the format ::ffff:[ipv4 address].

Some software to convert address to text for display on the screen
will actually recognize this is IPv4-address shown in IPv6-format
and show it IPv4-style, i.e.:-
​​::ffff:5615:41eb
​​::ffff:86.21.65.235

Are equivalent.

But in any case this indicates a connection *over IPv4* even if the
webserver/software is using a v6-compatible-socket and totally confusingly
showing you this as an IPv6-address [grr!!].

Instead, try using:-
http://ip.help.me.uk     [connects with either]
http://ip4.help.me.uk    [IPv4-only]
http://ip6.help.me.uk    [IPv6-only]

Or, use my website:-
http://www.test-ipv6.co.uk
[useful with elinks-lite and keyboard right/left/down navigation
    when testing on servers, no javascript etc.!]

Or, use the popular:-
http://www.test-ipv6.com

>       No other "what's my IP address" type site that I can find shows any IPv6
>       address, so could somebody else especially Virgin Media users please try
Yes, thats' because the ::ffff: address is just v4-written-in-v6 [!!].

> ​Looking through their forums, it seem that they have been testing IPv6, so this could by why we are receiving ​this output.
No, thats'  amisnomer.

In any case you'd need router/its' software to recieve the
DHCPv6-prefix-delegation, and then do the needed "router-advertisement"
(radvd) on the LAN-side (sort of like DHCPv4, but radvd is 'stateless'.).

You could, however, [assuming no nonsense with mac-addresses etc.],
however, tempororially test with a computer directly attached to
cablemodem without router... and see if that auto-picks-up IPv6-address.
It may-or-may-not need "wide-dhcpv6-client" or similar...  Not familiar
with Cable setups, only ADSL or College-Ethernet-lan  IPv6 for me...

--Simon