[Wiltshire] Request for help - Ubuntu 14.04

amanglo at utvinternet.com amanglo at utvinternet.com
Wed Sep 3 14:07:12 UTC 2014

Hello,

A complete Linux novice, I recently installed ubuntu 14.04 LTS (from Live CD
purchased from Canonical) - and downloaded 330.2 Mb of updates - on my desktop.
The idea was to remove dependence on XP, which was done very effectively as XP
was wiped completely by the installation of ubuntu. This was unintended - the
hoped-for result was to have XP and ubuntu 'side by side'.

The ubuntu program operates VERY slowly, often in jerks. Everything - typing,
browsing, opening and closing programs - is ultra-slow.

If anyone can suggest a fix I shall be grateful.

The PC details are:
AMD64 Athlon processor, 3.2 GHz. 120Gb hard disc. 4Gb installed RAM. Graphics
card VIA S3 UniChrome Pro KT8237.

Selecting "System Settings" > "Details" produces -
Memory 1.4Gb

Entering 'top' at the terminal produces  -  kiB Memory 1468416, kiB Swap 1505276,

Thanks - Derek
Graphics Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
Processor  AMD Athlon (tm) 64 3200+
OS Type 64 bit
Disk 119.4 Gb