[Wiltshire] Request for help - Ubuntu 14.04

John Carlyle-Clarke john at wormdrive.net
Wed Sep 3 15:51:26 UTC 2014

Hi Derek-

I've had problems before when trying to run Linux on a box with S3
Unichrome graphics, in that they are pretty terrible graphics cards and
modern desktops tend to require decent GPU support for the fancy effects
(Windows 7 is no different).

I'd suggest, given the specs of the machine, that you try a more
lightweight distro. You have many (many, many...) options, but here are a
few:-

   - Lubuntu (Ubuntu remix with the LXDE desktop)
   - Xubuntu (Ubuntu remix with the XFCE desktop)
   - Linux Mint MATE (Mint is closely related to Ubuntu. MATE is their fork
   of the older Gnome 2 desktop) http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2627
   - Linux Mint XFCE (Mint with XFCE, obviously)

Of these, I'd recommend Mint/MATE by personal preference, and I think it's
the most beginner-friendly of the above ... but you can download and burn
live CD's or USBs for all of these and try them out without installing

If you only have access to a working Windows machine at the moment, you can
use UNetBootin to make bootable USB sticks -
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

(Note, for some of the Mint versions above, you may need to download the
ISO and then tell UNetBootin to use it.  I don't know if it includes the
various Mint versions in the distros that it knows about).

Good luck!

John