[linux] [Wolves] X over ssh

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Dec 18 17:16:00 2002

Wayne Morris spoo'd forth:
> So is there a way of actually running the desktop, so you can click on
> icons etc instead of running them thru the terminal window (whoops
> nearly said 'at the dos prompt then!)

Hm. Not by X forwarding, really, not easily. To get icons and so on you'd
need to start a window manager and have that be forwarded to your local X
server, which I suppose you could do but your local X server will almost
certainly already be running a window manager. What you want is VNC, by the
sound of it; try that out.

Aq.

--
Abusus non tollit usum
(The threat of potential abuse shouldn't be an argument against any use)