[Wolves] broadband

Matt Wright wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Nov 7 18:05:03 2002

> I *am* Mr Alcatel USB ADSL on Smoothwall (not really,
> but I would like to think I am) :) This is very easy.
> I can give you a good link, as I keep giving to
> everyone:

Just in case (without being overriding), I wrote the BTI PPP mini HOWTO.
It isn't specifically Freeserve but there is a huge section in there
about setting up the Alcatel USB modem in bog standard Linux.

http://www.consultmatt.co.uk/papers/BTI-PPP.php

As another point, to Adam, can you bridge an incoming USB connection to
ethernet with smoothwall. With plain old ethernet you can setup a bridge
(or firewall/bridge) without the actual machine having an ip address.
Can I do this with the PPPoATM that BT uses?? I'm fairly certain I can't
(with it not being ethernet<->ethernet but ethernet<->PPP) but it's
always worth asking.

Matt

   Matt Wright                           www.consultmatt.co.uk
   Matt Wright Consulting                matt@consultmatt.co.uk