[Wolves] Check out the new Wolves LUG website!

steve parkes wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Nov 8 13:36:01 2002

>From: Aquarius <aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org>
>To: wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk
>Subject: Re: [Wolves] Check out the new Wolves LUG website!
>Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 13:22:45 +0000
>
>steve parkes spoo'd forth:
> > The first step to level A accessibility would be to remove all those dam
> > font elements.  Swop to the strict DTD and validate against that to see
> > where to start the improvements.
> >
> > but over all I would give you a B ;-)
> >
> > sparkes - teaching building accessible websites to a bunch of 17-20 year
> > olds right this second. ;-)
>
>I'd like to see the default templates done away with, and all the
>styling done with CSS; that makes it easier to provide accessibility
>*and* usability in older browsers. However, I suspect that that's a lot
>of work...

The main problems come with the modules.  It seems that all the nuke forks
have the same problems.  The HTML in the modules seem to suck generically.
I have cleaned up several modules in the past to produce valid xhtml but the
maintainers never seem to backport all the cleaned up code.

This was exactly the problem we had with phpslash in the linuxuk days that
made us fork the code then.  I would have thought certain people would have
learnt from that been as the blokes behind phpnuke and thatware where having
the same problems as I was with the then maintainers of phpnuke and there
reluctance to include and code that didn't come from the clique.

As jono will nodoubt evidence David Smith and Myself with a small team of
testers reduced the (then massive) bugcount in phpslash to zero and I wrote
a wap module (before it was modulized I might add) to phpslash that was so
cool Mr Alan Cox himself asked me to help him solve some problems he was
having with portaloo.  At the end of this all the patches we submitted where
rejected and they refused to every give us CVS access because we solved bugs
ahead of the roadmap for the software!

Sorry to rant but I would have thought that as the maintainers of phpnuke
and thatware where also having patches rejected by the same clique they
would have instilled some clue of how open source projects work in their own
teams.

Unfortunatly after a fantastic start (with a well thought out plan) postnuke
seems to be following the same path as well with several forks coming out of
the project at the moment.

I created a patch for the rogue release of postnuke that made modules.php
all nice a search engine friendly but as the next release of the code was
due (and the fact that I patched every module in the core release much to
some peoples annoyance) this code has never seen the light of day (to my
knowledge) on a site in the wild.

sparkes - ranting, raving and always right ;-)