[Wolves] Start up prog setting

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Nov 26 13:44:01 2002

Wayne Morris spoo'd forth:
> On Tuesday 26 Nov 2002 12:13 pm, you wrote:
>> what do you mean by 'on start up'? When the machine
>> first boots? What distribution are you running?
>>
> Yes, one off on first boot - the file popfile.pl needs to be run to intecept
> email for the filtering program.
>
> The changing directory bit because its in /root/Desktop/popfile/ at the mo
>
> But if I try:
>
> ./root/Desktop/popfile/perl popfile.pl
>
> it says can't find 'perl'

That's because there  you're  trying  to  run  a  "perl"  executable  in
/root/Desktop/popfile, and there isn't one.

> and if I try
>
> perl /root/Destop/popfile/popfile.pl
>
> it runs but comes up with a 'can't find config file' error

popfile.pl clearly only looks in the current directory  for  its  config
file. Is this not changeable? A fair few programs allow you  to  specify
the location of  a  config  file  on  the  command  line  (so  you'd  do
something like
perl /root/Desktop/popfile/popfile.pl --config-file=/root/Desktop/popfile/popfilerc'
or something similar.

We will leave aside  the  reasonableness  of  storing  stuff  in  /root,
especially given that a /root/Desktop folder almost certainly  indicates
that you do stuff as root in X. Big no-no, that.

Aq.

--
If cryptography is outlawed, only outlaws wifo4(F9%!98f3((hg$;'da"d;f+