[Wolves] Start up prog setting

James Turner wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Nov 28 01:08:00 2002

On 2002.11.26 11:59 Wayne Morris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone tell me how to do this on start up pls:
> (these are the commands I type in terminal)
>
> cd Desktop
> cd popfile
> perl popfile.pl

You can add the commands onto one of the various scripts that run
on start up. The usual place for such things is at the end of
/etc/rc.d/rc.local (or /etc/rc.local, depending on distro).

Your cd commands assume you are starting from a particular directory,
which may or may not be the case when the script is run. You may
want to specify the path relative to the root directory or users'
home directory, eg:

cd /home/wayne/Desktop/popfile
or
cd ~wayne/Desktop/popfile

Other posts by yourself suggest that the perl executable may not
necessarily be in your path when the commands are to be executed; if
this is the case you can specify the location explicitly, eg:

/usr/bin/perl popfile.pl

You can find the location of the perl executable on your system
using the command

which perl