[Wolves] Domain registration and dynamic IPs vs hosting

Daniel Jones wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 3 18:24:01 2002

Ooo!  Ooo!  Something I know a (tiny) bit about!  (It doesn't happen often)

All you suggested is possible as you know from previous replies EXCEPT -

There is a BIG caveat concerning bandwidth.  If you're expecting high or even
moderate access to these sites then TBH forget it.  Remember the upstream
bandwidth on consumer ADSL is only 128Kb/s (IIRC) compared to 512Kb/s (or
more) down.  Then there's the contention ratios - IIRC on BT they're about
30:1.

All this means you'll be fine under a light load.  More than a light load and
you'll be sssssllllllllloooooooowwwwwwwww.

I did get a visit at work yesterday from a company selling wireless internet
- 512Kb/s up and down, static IP, and a 15:1 contention.  They even said they
didn't mind if I assigned a domain name to the IP range we'd get!  :O

...until they told me the price.  £100/month for the access+other costs
(basically totalling £3500/annum).  Oooo.

I think we'll stick with BTOpenWorld... :)

--
Dan