[Wolves] Pipex ADSL anyone?

Jayne Heger wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 3 16:18:00 2002

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 8:26 am, Jon Farmer wrote:
> > Doesn't domestic ADSL tend to come with a USB modem?  I take it that
> > people can get these things working with Linux, but if you're planning to
> > use an old 486 sans USB sockets as a firewall you'll need ethernet.

I have ordered ADSL pipex but chose not to have the bundled USB modem, I'm not
a big fan of USB anyway, (well, more like I'm ignorant!), so I am deciding
between 2 External Ethernet modem/routers, both are reasonably priced at
around £60, unlike the bundled USB one which would cost £120 and is *just* a
modem I believe.

I'm also going to swap my 486 Smoothwall firewall for a PII233 my boyfriend is
giving me. (whoohoo) and get VPN tunneling working between our machines, we
have almost got it working, the connection is established but we can't ping
each other. I will get round to that eventually! Busy, busy, busy at the
moment.... sigh. doing an online tyre database for this guy who wants people
to be able to select tyre size, width and it will come up with suitable
tyres.

Anyway, I'm rambling again! ;)

Hopefully I will meet you all soon!

Jayne