[Wolves] Wireless Networking

Wayne Morris wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 18 13:40:01 2002

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 1:11 pm, you wrote:

> > Mmm, just thought of a danger in this sort of network - what if one of
> > your subscribers/friends was to download 'dubious material'; any logs at
> > the provider would reflect you as the recipient - so I guess saving of
> > logfiles would be essential - if there is a logfile for info gatewayed
> > thru your machine.?
> > Then you would have to prove the IP address was the other person.
> > There could be some interesting cases if this sort of this takes off.
> >
> > Wayne
>
> This is where things like www.nocat.net and www.dansguardian.org come in
> useful. You can provide free/slow restricted web access to guests, faster
> but still restricted access (ie, web/mail) to other users and then
> unrestricted prioritised access for yourself.
>
> Consider a consume.net style setup where you dont charge for access and
> help in the "community spirit". Esp' if theres another node near you -
> great for email away from home! hehe.

Good sites , but offering Isp services to friends is obv quite a minefield.
With dansguardian, you can provide 'sanitised' content to users , but I have
no objection to 'normal' porn, and I'm sure most users would object to having
all access blocked. But if you gave them access to any of it, they could be
using 'nastier' sites.

Also, unless all ftp and newsgroup access was blocked, there would be nothing
to stop them finding and using the sites and groups containing illegal and
extreme material ,  and the download reflecting your ip address.

Some of the current prosecutions for child porn go back to 1999, so if a user
did something illegal now via your gateway, in 2004 you might be asked to
prove that it wasn't you that downloaded an image, posted something etc.
By then the user might have moved house and be untraceable.

Could be difficult, who keeps logfiles that long.