[Wolves] proper reason why I cannot have ADSL

Jayne Heger wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 18 16:12:02 2002

Hi,

Sorry to drone on and on about this but I am determined to at least try and
see if something can be done and not just sit back and accept that I can't!

I have just got an email from Pipex, a standard response explaining why i
couldn't have ADSL, so I phoned them up, and they told me that I actually
have Fibre Optic cable
Whereas when BT came round to check the line they were saying the line is
about 50/60 years old! I would have thought fibre optic cable would have
been layed down much after copper cabling and certainly not 50/60 years
ago!

I am going to phone BT tomorrow,  would it be at all possible for them to
transfer my line to copper at the exchange? or would all the lines going to
my exchange be fibre optic?
Is there a website which can tell you this? I am on the Springfield Exchange
Hall Green, Birmingham if this helps.

I am desperate to have broadband by the way! ;)
Telewest Broadband isn't in my area yet, and NTL isn't.

Jayne