[Wolves] (no subject)

wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 25 11:31:01 2002

Hi,

Although I am not from the Wolverhampton area, I'm subscribing to various
user groups to try to end my 3-4 week nightmare trying to get SUSE 8.0
Professional running on my Higrade Notino R5400

Whatever I try in SUSE Linux always ends up the same way, a dead end!! I'm
starting to get depressed now....

Two major problems I have at present.

PROBLEM1

My laptop has a S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR, the mother board is a Via
P4N266(north bridge), 8233(south bridge) mobile P4 1.8ghz.  No matter what I
do I cannot get Linux to recognise my video card, so up until last night I
was stuck with a crap 800x600 display.  The laptop is optimised for 1024x768
or higher, so 800x600 is bitty!

I am getting nowhere with SUSE support!

Tim Roberts from ProBo says the VIA page is not necessarily accurate. He
says the following after looking at the contents of my /etc/X11 directory:

------------------

Well, what that tells me is that SuSe has set up XFree86 in a different way
from most of the distributions.

I'm 99% convinced you have a version 3 vs version 4 problem, but I guess I
can't tell you how to fix it.

There must be a way to get the SaX tools to switch to XFree86 version 4.
Are
there any SuSe newsgroups you can ask?

-----------------------

So I sat down last night, read the manual and managed to get sax2 -m 0=fbdev
to give me a 1024x768 display, but not enough colours, so it still looks
crap!.

Please is there anyone who can help?  I know more than the average novice
about UNIX but still need guidance.  I have tried using the guide from VIA
to no avail!

PROBLEM2

I have a lacie 80gb Firewire drive.  Again the VIA pages have not helped.  I
tried mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /media/lacie and got no errors back.  However
this is flagged as a directory that is read only?  It is owned and created
by root.  As root I have tried chmod 777 /media/lacie but it still remains
read only.  So I am not sure if it mounted the drive or not.

A point to add...

After getting into 1024x768 I have now tasted Linux and like it plenty so
want to get over these poxy  problems!  Multiple consoles, a browser that
also opens files, folders and the web.....oh yummy.

Here's hoping.......

Paul