[Wolves] Beginners distro...

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 27 20:50:00 2002

fizzy spoo'd forth:
> My girlfriend has decided to show an interest in linux
> (the first i knew about it was when she bought a copy
> of 'linux for dummies' :) ) and it has fallen to me to
> select a distro.
>
> What does everyone recon? I am thinking either
> mandrake, which lots of people start on i believe, or
> throwing her in at the deep end with debian - but that
> could well scare her off!

I wouldn't recommend Debian. It's not for new people; more to the
point, it's not a good way to learn Linux. The Debian distribution has
this sort of unstated assumption that you know roughly what you're
doing. I'd start her on Mandrake, myself; she'll find that it helps her
out initially, and then if later on she finds that instead of helping
her out it's holding her back, she'll be able to move to Debian and
reap the benefit of its technical excellence.

Aq -- see, a rational answer ;)

--
For your information, some people think I'm very funny
           -- Joe Hallenbach, "The Last Boy Scout"