[Wolves] : Debian Sound

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 28 23:00:00 2002

Lee Jordan spoo'd forth:
> Ah, you mean I have to do stuff first? ;) I get used to apt doing it for me
> So get the alsa modules, will apt put them in the right place?
> then make clean the kernel, recompile, dpkg it and install it - cool

Nooo. ALSA is a pain in the arse to set up, which is why it took me so
long to get it right. I can't remember where apt puts the thing when it
fetches it; possibly in /usr/src. You then get to unpack it into
/usr/src/modules. When you build your kernel, doing
"make-kpkg --revision=lee.1 kernel_image", you need to, after that, do
"make-kpkg modules_image" to build modules -- make-kpkg is clever
enough to build everything in /usr/src/modules for you and make a deb
for each one that you have installed in there. After that, dpkg -i each
of the created debs. Then you have to actually *set up* ALSA, and I
can't help with that because I basically spent four days repeatedly
frigging about with all the options; as soon as it worked I stopped
fiddling and haven't touched it since...

Aq.

--
Now get up and take a rip off my magic bong so that we can show
you the meaning of Xmas!