[Wolves] shall i....

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Apr 17 22:25:00 2003

Hi Steve,

Like Jayne has said, recompiling a kernel is a good
thing to do. With most distros the stock kernel is
usually pretty decent, but will no doubt have a load
of crap that you simply don't need.

The other thing that must be said is that kernel
compilation is something I reckon you guys should
really get the most out of. The different between a
bloated and slim kernel on a 486 is quite dramatic in
many cases.

Compiling a kernel is a pretty simple job - see the
Kernel HOWTO for instructions (on Debian it is even
easier ;) which reminds me I will be sending you an
email about something soon), and you can simply leave
out the unneeded stuff.

  Jono

--- Jayne Heger <jayne@sphynx.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 April 2003 8:48 pm, Steve Crozier
> wrote:
> > recompile my kernel?
> >
> > i want to learn something new, and read somewhere
> that you can get the
> > older machines to run better by recompiling to its
> specific
> > processer/hardware. Is this true?
>
> Yes! Yes! and oh Yes!,I've done it a few times in
> the past on mine and once I
> did it on a 486 and it ran noticeabily better.
> Admittedly I haven't done it for my SuSE 8
> workstation that I use, becasue I
> am happy, before I used to have to do it to get
> Vmware running as there used
> to be an issue with SuSE kernels and Vmware but SuSE
> seem to have sorted that
> now, well they must have 'cos it works.
>

> > what about newer hardware? would it be worth a
> recompile with the stock
> > kernel that comes with mandrake 9.1 for the
> latitiude c600 i have?
>
> hmmm... not sure, but its good to do anyway if you
> want to learn how to do it,
> just make sure you save your existing stock kernel
> as well, AND don't do what
> I did the once.. I somehow forgot to compile in
> support for Ext2 partitions
> and guess what sort of partition I have /boot on?
> OOOPS!! ;) LOL
> <blush>
>
> Jayne

=====