[Wolves] A2RT Networked Computers

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 18 01:37:01 2003

Hi all,

I just had an idea that I think would be of primary
interest to Steve and Vinny, but would also be worthy
of comment from the LUG faithfull. :D

Last night in a loud club and many in a drunken state,
the merits of A2RT were being heralded by a number of
LUGites, and it seems that we would all like to help
as much as possible.

It struck me today that there is a big Debian
following in the LUG, and hence a pretty impressive
batch of knowledge about Debian. It also struck me
that Debian is a networked distro in that it updates
via apt so package updates are pretty simple to
invoke.

What I was thinking was how hard would it be to
develop an A2RT OS that runs on Debian. Now, I dont
mean building our own distro, but surely it would be
possible to create a list of packages a default debian
install should install on the system, and then we
could put some documentation, settings and other stuff
relevent to A2RT in another debian package that sets
up the machine ready for use. This would mean as soon
as Steve and Vinny get a machine, they just need to
install Debian, update their apt sources and the fully
A2RTised debian will be installed and set up. This
would give us a project to work on that can involve
lots of stuff such as documentation and wotnot and
helps a worthy project out.

Comments?

  Jono

=====