[Wolves] A2RT Networked Computers

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 18 19:34:01 2003

--- Robert Smith <robert@rob-smith.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ahh what have I got mysef in for??

An interesting and worthy project that will make you
world famous and the object of desire of thousends og
women. Well...maybe...

> As regards booting i can burn isos onto cdrw and
> boot off them!!

I know this is the obvious solution, but it's not
entirely efficient is it. If it were possible to boot
from an ISO directly and not burning it to CD would
let you test and debug the system easier.

> What i will do is try and build a bare system with
> say sawfish and moz with
> kmail for now and see how i get on, no point
> building a killer distro and
> then run into problems!!

Spot on. You need to figure out not only how to
install the packages in the distro but also how each
package is configured in the distro. I have not used
Knoppix - I am gonna download it when I have finished
writing this, but I assume there are docs on how to
modify it.

> As knoppix is debian based, if anybody has apt srcs
> of more update versions
> of mozzila etc it would help but may just build them
> from scratch or use a
> binary installer!

To be honest - debian Unstable should be fine. The
Mozilla in the there is usually quite recent and the
GIMP is recent.

Also check www.apt-get.org and www.debianplanet.org
for more sources.

I am gonna look into modding Knoppix tonight and I
will share any insight I might run in to. :D

  Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - http://jono.dyndns.org/
KDE Developer - Freelancer - Musician