[Wolves] Small samba quandry

Matt Wright wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 25 15:34:01 2003

--Boundary-00=_ldUq+lkYCuTAsev

Hi,

Small question for you guys, something I've been puzzling over for a day or
two now. I've recently put Debian on my brother box after he expressed a wish
to use some OS other than my *legal* copy of Windows. One small thing has
been bugging me, I keep all my mp3's on my workstation which is an XP/Debian
dual boot. I run samba on linux configured with the same passwords and share
names as in XP so that filesharing is transparent to the client. My brother's
machine mounts my mp3's over using smbmount to his box. He uses XMMS to play
them over the share, however every now and again the whole filesystem will
stop responding for anywhere between 1/2 a second and 30 seconds. It's quite
frustrating as it's off putting while working to have hte music suddenly
stop. I've now moved him to an nfs share for the moment just so he can get
coherent music. I'm fairly sure it doesn't do this when in XP so that
confines it to the Samba on my box.

I use standard stable woody and I've attached my config file to this email in
case it helps.

Any ideas?

Matt
--Boundary-00=_ldUq+lkYCuTAsev

#
# Sample configuration file for the Samba suite for Debian GNU/Linux.
#
# $Id: smb.conf,v 1.2.4.6 2002/03/13 18:56:16 peloy Exp $
#
# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options most of which
# are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentary and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
# "testparm" to check that you have not many any basic syntactic
# errors.
#

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	dns proxy = no
	protocol = NT1
	encrypt passwords = true
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE SO_REUSEADDR TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
	invalid users = root
	max log size = 1000
	preferred master = no
	obey pam restrictions = yes
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
	security = user
	server string = %h server (Samba %v)
	workgroup = HOME
	syslog = 0
	netbios name = MATT
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	log level = 4

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no

# By default, the home directories are exported read-only. Change next
# parameter to 'yes' if you want to be able to write to them.
   writable = no

# File creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you want to
# create files with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
   create mask = 0700

# Directory creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you want to
# create dirs. with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
   directory mask = 0700

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
# (you need to configure Samba to act as a domain controller too.)
;[netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /home/samba/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

[mp3]
   comment = MP3's
   browseable = yes
   path = /mp3
   public = yes
   writable = no

[mydocs]
   comment = My Document's
   browseable = yes
   path = /mnt/mydocs
   writable = yes
   guest ok = no

[vids]
   comment = Video's
   browseable = yes
   path = /mnt/vids
   writable = yes
   guest ok = no

# A sample share for sharing your CD-ROM with others.
;[cdrom]
;   comment = Samba server's CD-ROM
;   writable = no
;   locking = no
;   path = /cdrom
;   public = yes

# The next two parameters show how to auto-mount a CD-ROM when the
#	cdrom share is accesed. For this to work /etc/fstab must contain
#	an entry like this:
#
#       /dev/scd0   /cdrom  iso9660 defaults,noauto,ro,user   0 0
#
# The CD-ROM gets unmounted automatically after the connection to the
#
# If you don't want to use auto-mounting/unmounting make sure the CD
#	is mounted on /cdrom
#
;   preexec = /bin/mount /cdrom
;   postexec = /bin/umount /cdrom