[Wolves] Scripting language comparisons

Matthew Revell wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 30 10:18:00 2003

> I reckon this is gonna be a big thread. :)

Yeah, I reckon you could be right :)

> JavaScript
>
> I mainly use Javascript as the glue in applications.

Don't suppose you could give me an example or two of glue in apps?

> Although some people use it (Javascript) fully for web
> development, that seems a bit hackish to me

Would you agree that the main problem with Javascript is that it runs on
the client and so is unpredictable?

> XML
>
> This is something that I think you should consider.

Thanks. The article that I'm writing is part of a series and XML will
definitely be covered within the series but as it's aimed largely at non-
coders, I don't want to include XML at this stage: I've noticed that non-
coders tend to confuse it with HTML and expect it to do things it doesn't.
I'm probably gonna do a whole article on syndication etc, where I'll cover
XML.

Thanks very much for all that.

Something that I've read about Perl is that it requires a new instance of
Perl each time a script runs and therefore puts a heavy load on the server.
Is that out of date or something that is still a concern? I assume that
mod_perl kinda' fixes that. Does Python have the same problem?

Does anyone have any experience of JSP? It seems to get a lot of enterprise
attention, am I right?

Also, I know that Coldfusion is fairly limited and is pricey, considering
the free functionality of PHP, but would anyone here recommend it?

Cheers!