[Wolves] Need some help!

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Aug 10 19:35:00 2003

Hi Helen,

First of all, welcome to the LUG!! I am sure you will
find everyone helpfull and friendly, and let us know
if you have any problems. Before I continue though, I
fully recommend coming to a LUG meeting - meetings are
much more fun that mailing lists, and infinitly more
helpfull as you can ask people there all the questions
you need to.

Anyway, as for which Linux to use, I recommend
something such as Mandrake or Red Hat if you are
started out, with Mandrake as the number one choice.
We have a few Mandrake users on this list, and many of
us used to use it. As for boxed sets, they are indeed
usefull, but it may be wiser to spend the money on a
good book - it depends how much documentation you get
in the boxed set - Mandrake is pretty decent if I
remember. You can also buy cheap CD's from the Linux
Emporium (www.linux-emporium.co.uk) if you don't want
to but the boxed set.

We next have a meeting on Wed 20th August at the Moon
Under Water, Lichfield Street in Wolves. I think we
are aiming to get everyone on this list to this meet
if possible, although we usually clock at least 15
people at a meet with our record of 21 I think.

Let us know how you get on. :)

  Jono

--- Helen Randle <helenr@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> Having been on the list for a few days now, and been
> reading the
> messages, I thought it was about time I posted
> something.
>
> I'm looking to convert to Linux, but don't really
> know where to start.
> I've read some stuff on various websites, but I
> don't understand it all.
> The bit I did understand was where it said to
> contact my local LUG,
> which I obviously have done! :-)
>
> I need some advice on what Linux to go for. I'm kind
> of drawn towards
> the off the shelf in a box type, as they seem
> easiest to work with (I'm
> not a computer novice, but I don't get all the
> kernel and stuff!), but
> there are quite a few to choose from. I know what I
> need my computer
> to do, but that seems more relevant to applications
> than OS (Ok, so I'll
> probably need help with that too!)
>
> So generally just ..... help!!!!!????

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Web Developer - Musician - Writer - Freelancer