[Wolves] I'm back!

Chris Procter wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Aug 11 12:31:01 2003

This isn't a case of "two wrongs" though. The women involved performed
perfectly legal and correct actions to prevent a crime occurring, we can be
sure of this because they defended their actions in a court of law and were
found innocent of any wrong doing. Admittedly the law was altered slightly
to allow for this result, but that is well within the powers of the court.
They went through the courts, changed the law, and prevented the sale, just
not in the way you meant.

I don't see this as a flaw, quiet the opposite, it is morally right to allow
what would otherwise be an illegal act to prevent a greater crime occurring,
and a legal system that is flexible enough to allow for these (rare) cases
has to be a good thing.

Hacking "in the public interest" would be very difficult to prove however
("no I didn't intend to use those credit card numbers, I was actually
looking for a racial origin column in the database, honest!") because by its
nature it is a secretive activity, and if you are acting lawfully "in the
public interest" you have no reason to hide your activities (the women in
the BAe case iirc chained themselves to the planes and waited for the police
to come along).

chris