[Wolves] Nag nag (was: Need some help!)

Helen Randle wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 22:04:06 2003

> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:29:39 +0100 (BST)
> From: Peter Oliver <p.d.oliver@mavit.freeserve.co.uk>
> To: wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk
> Subject: [Wolves] Nag nag (was: Need some help!)
>

> I heard somewhere that some historians are a bit worried about digital
> photography.  Apparently, a great deal of local history comes from
> shoe boxes full of photos found in people's lofts.  In a hundered
> years time, even if you could find something to plug your dusty IDE
> disk into, you're unlikely to be able to read anything from it.
Ooh a history topic!! (sorry, history's my thing, so I do like to jump
in!!) It's true that as most digital photos are never printed, we will lose
this valuable social history source. Of course shoe boxes full of photos
in people's lofts are only good if someone had the foresight to write on
the back who, what and where they were!

> As someone pointed out, the Doomsday Book can still be read, but finding
> an Acorn and a laserdisc player to access the BBC's Doomsday project
> already sounds a bit tricky.

Doomsday book lasted because people made copies (isn't this where we
came in on this topic??). I have heard that the BBC Doomsday project
data is going to be transferred onto some other format (I don't know
what) while they can still read it on old machines.

Helen