[Wolves] Need some help!

Helen Randle wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 22:04:08 2003

> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:13:56 +0100
> From: Old Dan <dan@dannyboy.dnsalias.org>
> To:  wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [Wolves] Need some help!
>

> If I were you, instead of:
>
> 'I don't have broadband, so I'm beginning to think Mandrake'
>
> I'd be thinking:
>
> 'I don't have broadband, so I'm beginning to think I should get it'
> ;P
I would if I could! I consider myself lucky to have electricity and
telephone connections!! :-)

> Seriously, though, ...
>
> Some linux distributions have difficulty
> (in their default mode) with PCI 'winmodems' - that is, modems which
> come with some hardware removed (which makes them cheaper) - which is
> then replaced with software, often only written for Windoze.  *In all
> likelihood, unless your machine fell off the Ark (much as my laptop
> did :) ) you have one of these modems.*
I use an external modem. Would this be ok? If not how do I find out?
(And I don't have anything that fell off the Ark. That's in the loft!!)

> Much as it pains me to say it (I, like everyone else who has responded
> to you, came the Mandrake->Debian route to my current setup) there is
> also another distribution which many newbies like which is SuSE (
> http://www.suse.com ) which some people here (a minority :) ) swear
> by.
Someone else mentioned that (I must try and remember some names!)

> However, according to their database SuSE do not support winmodems by
> default.  Mandrake ( www.mandrakelinux.com ) supports a significant
> subset of winmodems by default.  As always, of course, people on this
> list will be happy to help you out if you find you have to do any
> configuring, though.
So how do I find out if mine's supported?

> The point is, most if not all winmodems are now supported in Linux,
> just not in all the distributions yet.  See http://www.linmodems.org
> for more details as to what's available.
Ok. So if I read before I type I might get on better!! :-)

Helen