[Wolves] XDMCP bandwidth

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Fri Dec 5 14:34:29 GMT 2003

David Goodwin wrote:
> I found the same (although using Linux natively) when undertaking some
> support to a remote customer. Running the GUI application remotely without
> compression was unusable, with compression it was fine :)

What was the application?  The benchmark I'm using is Enigma (a very
silly SDL game) - if it is playable then the thing passes, if not then
it fails.  Of course, I want the whole desktop so I'm running startkde
and playing^Wtesting enigma from there.

Over ssh without compression it's more than a bit dodgy, even over this
100MBit LAN, however with compression it just about works.  Using
straight X11 it flies... :)  (The hub goes a bit potty though...)

> alias ssh='ssh -X -A -C '
Ah but remember these are windows boxen...

> p.s. sorry for the evil top posting, i'm lazy.
Use a /proper/ mail client then. ;) That would take you /straight/ to
the bottom of the post....  :)

--
Dan