[Wolves] XDMCP bandwidth

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Sat Dec 6 11:03:40 GMT 2003

Peter Oliver wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Old Dan wrote:
>>David Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>>I found the same (although using Linux natively) when undertaking some
>>>support to a remote customer. Running the GUI application remotely without
>>>compression was unusable, with compression it was fine :)
>>
>>What was the application?  The benchmark I'm using is Enigma (a very
>>silly SDL game)
>
> That sounds like it's going to use stacks of bandwidth, and isn't really a
> test that reflects real-life usage.
Yeah it is - it pushes the system nicely close to it's limit, showing
any cracks for all to see and that's the point.  Remember this is over a
100MBit LAN and the only bandwidth I am wasting is my own.

Remember the people I work with are impressed by eye candy.

>>Use a /proper/ mail client then. ;) That would take you /straight/ to
>>the bottom of the post....  :)
>
> No, no, no.  You should start at the top so you can move down through the
> message, replying in the appropriate places and removing sections
> irrelevant to your reply.
You can do that anyhow - though someone who can't even be bothered to
scroll down through the text is hardly likely to bother snipping stuff
now are they?  :)

--
Dan