[Wolves] Am I getting through??

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 13:30:32 GMT 2003

 --- Helen Randle <helenr at gmx.co.uk> wrote: > Ok. I
think I'm getting there! I've got my Mandrake
> 9.2 up and running,
> a shiney new modem (yes I know it's not really
> shiney!!)
>
> BUT I STILL CAN'T GET ONTO THE
> INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I've used the drakconnect thing to set up, but get
> the message
>     Problems occurred during configuration.
>     Test your connection via net_monitor or mcc.
>     If your connection doesn't work, you might want
> to relaunch
>     the configuration.
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?? (sensible answers
> please!)
>
> Helen--
> Linux, because we don't need no Blue Screen of
> Death!

Hmm I don't know much about this stuff it's been a
long time since I used a modem under Linux, but are
you certain that your modem is Linux compatible? If
it's an external serial one then it probably is, but
have you checked with Mandrake's hardware
compatibility list? Can you tell us exactly what make
and model it is?

You need to find out what kernel module it uses and
then find out if that module is loaded. Only searching
google will tell you what module it needs and then as
root do

lsmod

to get a list of what modules are loaded. You might
also want to try

So you did the Mandrake Control Centre | Network and
Internet | whatever connection wizard thingy? Where it
probes for network cards and modems and tells you what
it found so you can set it up? Well it beats me
without knowing more about your modem.

To be honest I always thought it was a case of plug it
in and set it up using kppp, mine always got auto
detected on boot up.

Ad

=====
http://www.drinky.org.uk