[Wolves] Am I getting through??

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 13:03:11 GMT 2003

Helen Randle wrote:

>>Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 11:12:20 +0000
>>From: david <nux at blueyonder.co.uk>
>>Subject: Re: [Wolves] Am I getting through??
>>To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>>
>>On my machine (zoom external serial modem), the modem appears on tty0
>>and not ttymodem
>>the setup facility in kppp is all i use to get things going.
>>Open kppp up and go to setup/device and "detect modem". Then just enter
>>the account details by hand.
>>

>I know I'm probably being *really* thick here, but where do I find kppp?
>>From memory I think my modem is on tty1
>

>>further
>>
>>if you use gkrellm (gnome or kde) or modem lights under gnome, when the
>>connection is made,
>>things happen to let you know )(green light in modem-lights and a window
>>with traffic rate appears in gkrellm)>
>>

>I'm using kde, so does that mean I'm using gkrellm? 'Cause I'm not getting
>any windows appearing!
>
>Helen

If gkrellm is installed it will appear in the Applications/Monitoring
menu, if not, install it with urpmi
then it needs to be started up
it will detect and display any activity/connections using ppp automatically
it also displays a whole load of useful other stuff
 and there a bazillion skins available for it and various extra plugins

nux