[Wolves] Am I getting through??

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 13:49:20 GMT 2003

>> Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:30:21 +0000 (GMT)
>> From: Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Wolves] Am I getting through??
>> To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>>
>> Hmm I don't know much about this stuff it's been a
>> long time since I used a modem under Linux, but are
>> you certain that your modem is Linux compatible? If
>> it's an external serial one then it probably is, but
>> have you checked with Mandrake's hardware
>> compatibility list? Can you tell us exactly what make
>> and model it is?
>
> It's a US Robotics external 56K V92 (not sure of the model number, as I
> haven't got it in front of me at the moment) I bought it because it said
> it was
> Linux compatable!
>>
>> You need to find out what kernel module it uses and
>> then find out if that module is loaded.
>
> How do I do that?

You don't.
Serial modems have support built into the kernel through the serial driver.
At most "/sbin/lsmod | grep serial" and "/sbin/lsmod | grep ppp" should be
enough.

Figure out what serial port is attached to the modem
(probably/dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1) and try (as root):

echo "ATZ" > /dev/ttyS0
echo "ATDT123" > /dev/ttyS0 and see if it does anything...
[rusty mind.. the above might be rubbish]

if some lights flash then you're in luck.

It should now just be a simple case of configuring kppp or what ever

(I've used ppp-go [slackware] for a long time, don't know kppp)

>> So you did the Mandrake Control Centre | Network and
>> Internet | whatever connection wizard thingy? Where it
>> probes for network cards and modems and tells you what
>> it found so you can set it up? Well it beats me
>> without knowing more about your modem.
>
> I don't understand either!! It sometimes makes the beepy dialing up noise,
> so I wondered if it was a settings rather than modem problem?
>
> Thanks for the help anyway
>
> Helen

Almost certainly a settings problem.

Some modems will fail to dial up if you have a message on 1571, as they
don't hear a continuous tone when listening to the line before dialing up.

There is a modem string which can disable this, but I've forgotten it (and
my ppp-scripts are buried on a cdr at home somewhere, as I've been using
adsl for the last 12+ months now).

Try dialing "123" (talking clock) through what ever you're using ... if it
demands a username/password just put rubbish in.

You should hear the time through the modem's speaker (123 = talking clock).
If this works ok, then your modem can dial up ok, and you've possibly got
the wrong username/password or password encryption setting.

Sorry, i'm rambling a bit...

David.

--

http://codepoets.co.uk/david